ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

Ubin Tides: Celebrating The Ubin Spirit

Hi all,

Recently I've been featured in the third installment of Ubin Tides, a biannual e-newsletter that highlights on the activities and the latest buzz on Pulau Ubin by NParks. I am very happy to share with you what I had to say in there!

--

Hi Ubin Residents!


I am a descendant of the Ubin community, the grandchild of Awang Minyak of Kampong Surau. Since I found my grandparents' house in April 2018, I have been returning often to learn more about our island and sharing my experiences on my blog, Wan's Ubin Journal.

While there are fewer kampongs today than in the past, one thing remains - the strong kampong spirit within the Ubin community.

To celebrate this, I organised a simple mini Balik Kampong event for former Ubin residents of the Malay community last November as a way of thanking them for reconnecting me to my roots.

Former residents brought along old photos to reminisce about the good old days. Photo courtesy of Jeffrey Cheng

Members of the public also joined in the fun by playing traditional games. Photo courtesy of Jeffrey Cheng

I will continue to play my part to give back to the community. In return for the community's help to my family in times of need, I will come up with more community projects such as the monthly kampong clean-up I started in January this year.

Thank you to all Ubin residents for championing the kampong spirit. Let's all work together to lift our kampong spirit even higher so that Pulau Ubin can thrive again, with its residents in its heart.

Syazwan Majid
Writer, Wan's Ubin Journal
(http://wansubinjournal.blogspot.com)

--

Thank you to NParks Pulau Ubin for featuring me in their e-newsletter. I'm looking forward now more than ever to be a more valuable community servant for Ubin and its people with my new role and responsibilities. The e-newsletter has yet to be published online on its website by the time this post was written but if you are interested to always keep a look out for it, you may wait for it on its link here.


May Pulau Ubin thrive again, with its people in its heart.

-- 

Like WUJ on Facebook! 
https://www.facebook.com/wansubinjournal

Follow WUJ on Instagram! 
https://www.instagram.com/wansubinjournal

Follow WUJ on Twitter! 
https://www.twitter.com/wansubinjournal

Have any enquiries? Send an email to wansubinjournal@gmail.com

-- 

Come join me on Ubin as a volunteer to clean up our kampongs! 

Find out more about WUJ Kampong Clean-Up! 
https://wansubinjournal.blogspot.com/p/kampong-clean-up.html 

Sign up immediately here!
https://www.facebook.com/events/310660792939011/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog