ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

WUJ's 1,000th Visitor Tribute

Hi All,

I would like to dedicate this post to you, the readers and supporters of Wan's Ubin Journal!


Since its launch on Jul 24th, 2018, Wan's Ubin Journal at the time this post was written had received over 1,100 visitors! I am extremely thankful and appreciative of your support and I will continue to do my utmost in playing my part in preserving our wealth of kampong heritage through this blog.

In addition, Wan's Ubin Journal too has its own Facebook page, with over 60 likes thus far! Are you one of them? If not, then you may click on the sidebar of this blog and hit that like button to stay connected to my blog's activities on Facebook! Or, you can simply click this link to be directed straight to the Wan's Ubin Journal Facebook Page!

Not on Facebook because all you do is just scroll through photos? No worries! Wan's Ubin Journal can also be found on Instagram as well! (I mean, how can it not when there's a page on WUJ called Ubin Also Instagrammable?) You can also find it on the blog's side bar, or click on this link to be directed to Wan's Ubin Journal's Instagram!

In the course of newly two weeks, I have seen this blog grow in support and content as well. To keep you in the loop and at the same time, keep this blog organised, I have decided to split the contents of this blog into different labels, categorised at Chapters which can be found on the side bar!

1. My Ubin Journey

Posts tagged under My Ubin Journey will be talking about my adventures in finding my grandparents' house and tracing back my roots and family heritage. In each post, I will be adding in a previous and after link so that you may read the events in chronological order as each event unfolds. The first post under My Ubin Journey is titled "The Day My Mom Stopped At The Rotten Jackfruit Tree". God Willing, a new post with this label will be published every Monday!

2. Mak's Memoirs

Posts tagged under Mak's Memoirs will be sharing on all of my mom's recollections on her memories of Pulau Ubin. My mom was born on this island in 1959 and has lived there for more than 30 years before eventually moving to the mainland in the hopes of a better life. Nonetheless, her years and memories on the island continue to be her most vivid and memorable, and deserved to be shared with everyone and anyone who is curious on how a simple kampong life was like, even more so how life on Pulau Ubin was like, back in its heyday. God Willing, a new post with this label will be published every Wednesday!

3. Ubin Also Instagrammable

Posts tagged under Ubin Also Instagrammable will be about showcasing some of the best and interesting photos taken on Pulau Ubin by the numerous visitors that frequented the island in the past week, or maybe just of all time as well! You can also stand a chance to have your picture featured on WUJ by simply hash-tagging #wansubinjournal on your photos! God Willing, a new post with this label will be published every Friday!

Any miscellaneous posts such as news articles, thoughts, feelings and stories currently aren't given a tag but will be found within the home page, so you may scavenge through them as for now. However, as the content continues to grow, I will think of new ways to adapt to the changing landscape.

WUJ's new logo, replacing the word Ubin with the map of Ubin, coincidentally in the centre of the header, to signify that Ubin is at the centre of my heart and is the heart of  Wan's Ubin Journal.

Once again, I would not have been able to go this far if it were not for your continuous support, encouragement and blessings. I will continue hoping that one day this blog can and will make a difference in how we view Pulau Ubin and also to make a difference in improving the lives of the residents of Pulau Ubin, for both the current and former. I hope that I am making the residents proud to know that their voices are heard, and happy that their stories and legacy are shared. I hope that I am making my late grandparents proud and that their contributions to the Ubin community can be remembered against the test of time, and I hope that I am making my mom proud too, that she knows that not all things are meant to be forgotten, and not all things are meant to be the way it is.

God Willing, 818K and the entire Kampong Surau will be rebuilt, and the beautiful community of Pulau Ubin will thrive again once more. Together, we can play a part in preserving and protecting our kampong heritage.

Together, for Pulau Ubin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog