ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

NParks and the Curious Case of 818K

Hi All!

This post talks about the discussion that I had with Yook Sau, Deputy Director (Pulau Ubin) Conservation Division during a meeting on Pulau Ubin that took place on Saturday, August 11th, 2018 together with my plans and commitments in working alongside NParks to conduct an environmental study and survey around 818K Kampong Surau.

The NParks Volunteer Hub on Pulau Ubin


Here's some backstory leading to this event! On July 25th, 2018, I had received an email from NParks regarding my post where I have brought my mom back to her home home. At first to be very honest, I was terrified that I might have done something wrong, but I was delighted to know that that was not the case in hand.

I received the email from Yook Sau who had queries regarding my post titled, "My Mom Has Returned Home" about my intentions to clear debris within my late grandparents' house and to restore the path that my late grandfather had created leading to 818K. Coincidentally I wanted to write in to seek permission in doing so, but instead NParks wrote in to me first.

After a series of emails, we were successful in locking a date for a meetup to clear all of our doubts and enquiries, and so August 11th, 2018 was the date to be saved.
The day came and I arrived on Pulau Ubin at 10.45 a.m., 15 minutes early for the meeting. I made my way down to the NParks Volunteer Hub which was formerly Pulau Ubin Community Centre! I was greeted by Nadia, who is the Conservation Officer in charge of the area where my late grandparents' kampong house was located. We have previously met on Ubin Day, and somehow she already knew me prior to that day through a mutual friend. She brought me into the Volunteer's Room which overlooked the Serangoon Harbour and it had quite a view!
The NParks Volunteer Hub is located right next to the Serangoon Harbour

Yook Sau was caught in a meeting but not too long afterwards, Nadia fetched me out of the room and I finally met Yook Sau who was standing outside in the sun. We boarded a van before heading down to Kelichap Hut so that I could show the ladies where 818K was.

I learned during the short trip there that Sook Yau has been working on the island since 2000. She even mentioned that she could recall memories and the presence of many other houses including the old surau at Kampong Surau. It goes to show that even if the houses were removed just 18 years ago, it didn't take too long for every trace of the place to go hidden and returned to nature. It was clear that she had taken an interest in the vibrant kampong community as she also reminisced on her early years working on Pulau Ubin and interacting closely with many of the residents at the time.

We reached Kelichap Hut and decided to trek into the forests through the usual route via Asiah's house on the slope. I did want to enter through the original entrance as explored with Kelana the other day, but I was still a little unsure on the way. When we've reached my grandparents' house, I took the time to share with them the heritage that I have learnt so far about the spot that they were standing on.

I showed them the well and highlighted its significance during the times of crisis. I also brought out the huge sireh tree plantation that my late grandfather cultivated on his own, the stream that was named after him and the path which he had cleared which led to the development of the small kampong around there. After hearing about the value of the land they were in, they understood clearly why I wanted to bring this kampong back to life.

Unfortunately during this visit, I have come to the heartbreaking discovery that the sign which I have placed on my late grandparents' kampong house has gone missing. You can read up about my full thoughts on that right here.


Wefie with Yook Sau and Nadia. The sun was relentlessly hot and bright that day!

We headed back to the Volunteer Room at the NParks Volunteer Hub so that we could discuss more about our intentions for the place. 

I learned from Yook Sau that 22E, Cikgu Ahmad Kasah's house and also one of the houses to be restored under NParks, has been designated to be turned into some sort of heritage centre to display the history of the Malay kampongs around the area under the stewardship of Dr Maliki Osman, the MP for East Coast GRC, including Pulau Ubin. The reason as to why 22E was chosen was because the owners were discovered to have blood-related ties to the sultan who once ruled the northeastern islands including Pulau Tekong and Pulau Ubin. 

I am very open to the idea of 22E being designated as a heritage hub for Pulau Ubin's Malay kampong given its royal heritage, but I believe more stories can be shared about the wealth of the Malay community on Ubin from the various residents living there, including that of my grandparents' undocumented contributions to the island and its people. There's more to Malay history than kings and royalty, but the spirit of unity, teamwork and love for one another as displayed by the Malay residents of Kampong Surau and Kampong Sungei Durian.

Before calling the meeting to a close, Yook Sau would be sending a team over to survey the land around 818K some time in the future to see if there are any endangered plants or species that are in need of preservation or safely removed, should there be plans to rebuild 818K and the whole of Kampong Surau North in the many years to come. She also brought up to me that I would officially become a member of the Friends of Ubin Network (FUN) and introduced to the rest of the amazing team during an upcoming meeting on August 31st, 2018.

I am very happy to have met Yook Sau and continue to look forward in working alongside her and her NParks team to make our dreams for Pulau Ubin a reality. I am also excited to be a part of the FUN community and to be able to contribute back to Pulau Ubin, just as how my late grandfather did till his last breath.

Read the previous post in "My Ubin Journey"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog