ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

Sign Is Gone, But Not My Hope

Hi All!

On my return trip to my late grandparents' kampong house on Saturday, August 11th, 2018, I have come across an upsetting sight. It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that the sign in which I have poured my heart and soul into, has gone missing from my late grandparents' kampong house. The sign seemed to have been forcefully removed as there are traces of the holes remaining bare and uncovered.

 The sign that I have given my everything into has gone missing, but my hopes of 818K being remembered and celebrated remain undeterred.

I can only express sadness and disappointment at this point in time, yet let this message remain clear. I will not give up in pursuing my dreams of having my late grandparents' kampong house rebuilt, and after finding out more stories from the residents about my grandparents' contribution to the Ubin community through the vast land that he cultivated and called home, the land surrounding 818K Kampong Surau is much more valuable than I initially thought. 818K shall be remembered and celebrated for its rich heritage and existence in Pulau Ubin.

I will be expanding my search area in my next trip on Sunday in the hopes of finding the sign, or perhaps think of a new way to identify the place. In the mean time, I still have a lot more to uncover about my grandparents' place and I'm very appreciative to each and everyone of you who have joined me in this journey with your blessings, support and encouragement. Thank you!

I would also like to thank everyone who has read my National Day message and for sharing it around with your friends as it has been read by up to nearly 700 people since its publishing on National Day itself. If you have yet to read it, you may do so by clicking on Pulau Ubin Is Home, Truly: My National Day Message 2018. I hope that the story of my grandfather's dream of starting a new life on Ubin for his family has inspired and moved you to understand the meaning of home as we continue our celebrations for our nation's 53rd birthday.

Read the next post in "My Ubin Journey"!
NParks and the Curious Case of 818K 

Read the previous post in "My Ubin Journey"!
A Stream On Pulau Ubin Was Named After My Late Grandfather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog