ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

Launch of New Pages in WUJ!

Hi All!

I've been planning out ways to provide more content for this blog in the weeks to come and I'm happy to announce the launch of the following new pages for Wan's Ubin Journal! These pages will serve as sub-stories for my journal and would be up pretty soon for your reading pleasure, to kick start this blog.



  • MAK'S MEMOIRS (MOM'S MEMOIRS)

Mak's Memoirs is a personal recollection of the stories that my mom has to share with all of you. These will be told in her perspective,allowing you as a reader to reminisce, immerse and imagine yourself being in her shoes as you live your life back on Pulau Ubin from the 1960s till the 1990s. I hope that through these stories and memories of my mom's early life on the island, more can learn on the beauty and simplicity of kampong life in Singapore.
  • 5 HOUSES OF KAMPONG SURAU NORTH

5 Houses of Kampong Surau North is a page dedicated in memory of the path that once existed from present day Kelichap Hut all the way till my late grandparents' house located at its end. Along the path, there once stood five amazing kampong houses belonging to the following families (from the start of the path to the end):

1. Pak Ahmad
2. Ketom Binte Sulong (My Late Eldest Aunt)
3. Pak Sawall
4. Pak Sidek
5. Sulong and Jariah (My Late Grandparents). 

This page will dwell on the livelihood of my late grandparents and their friendly neighbours, as well as to serve as an avenue of appreciation on the individual house's architecture, history and significance.

The name Kampong Surau North is not the official name given to the path nor the area itself, however as these five houses have their addresses stated as Kampong Surau, given that the main village of Kampong Surau is located south to southwest of the area, I have given the nickname Kampong Surau North as reference to the area in which the small neighbourhood of five families existed, geographically speaking.

  • UBIN ALSO INSTAGRAMMABLE

Ubin Also Instagrammable showcases the most interesting pictures taken from Pulau Ubin by anyone who has tagged the island into their photos be it on Instagram or Facebook. 

Want to get your photos featured in this blog? I'd love to show them! Simply #wansubinjournal onto your photos and you might stand a chance to have it featured in this blog. It's my way of saying thank you for remembering and visiting Pulau Ubin and of course, leaving behind memories and stories for others to appreciate and love the beauty of the boomerang-shaped island off the eastern coast of Singapore.

So yeah, I've also taken the time to plan out what topics and stories that I can share with all of you and from the looks of it, I might have at least 19 weeks' worth of content so far haha! So the next 4 months will be pretty packed, and I would also try my best to post at least twice a week too so this blog will definitely be pretty active.

I hope that through the launches of these new pages in my blog, I would be able to raise more awareness on Pulau Ubin's history and heritage and also at the same time share with all of you my journey in tracing down my roots on the island.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog