ANNOUNCEMENT: WUJ wishes everyone a Happy Ubin Day 2020! WUJ launches "WUJ Wan Go Jalan? (Virtually)" in conjunction with Pesta Ubin 2020 and Ubin Day 2020 celebrations Play your part in fighting COVID-19: Be socially responsible, uphold strict personal hygiene and social distancing measures

Now, that was FUN (Friends of Ubin Network)!

Hi All,

This post will cover on my awesome experience on August 31st, 2018 where I attended the first Friends of Ubin Network (FUN) meeting and the Ubin Day Appreciation Dinner! This would also be a momentous day in my Ubin journey as I have also been officially "inaugurated" as a member of FUN that evening as well.

Officially a member of the Friends of Ubin Network (FUN) on August 31st, 2018! Photo courtesy of Alina Soh

It's not every time that you'd be given a day off especially from National Service, but since I was given one, I've been saving it up for this day since months before. I was previously invited to be a part of FUN back on Ubin Day (which I have yet to post!) but I was still clueless as to what it was. Oh, and in the invitation came around from Second Minister for National Development and Minister for Social and Family Development Mr Desmond Lee after I thanked him for attending Singapore Heritage Society's (SHS) booth that day.

In the months that followed, quite a handful of people have helped out and even eagerly awaited my arrival into the team and well, on August 31st, 2018, their and my long awaited day has come. There was a FUN meeting along with a Ubin Day Appreciation Dinner held on that day from 3pm to around 9 pm held at HortPark.

It was a bright and sunny one too, well at least from when I left home and when I was stuck on the PIE due to quite a massive traffic jam as well. I initially wanted to make my way down to the Al-Amin Mosque in Telok Belangah for my Friday prayers, given that it was near to where the meeting was going to take place down in HortPark in the southwestern part of Singapore. However, when I was near the vicinity of Vivo City, the call for prayer had already been made and I knew that I would not be able to make it in time if I continued down to Telok Belangah, so I alighted from the bus and went down to Masjid Temenggong Daeng Ibrahim.

A little fun fact about the mosque though is that it is one of two mosques in Singapore that are actually owned by Johor and is under the sovereignty of that Malaysian state, so that was why I was pretty surprised to hear that the sermon held for the prayers that day were highlighting on the role of independence and there was one person spotted wearing a Barisan Nasional (BN) shirt, probably a supporter of the now dethroned government of Malaysia following the revolutionary elections held earlier this year.

However, in the midst of the sermon and throughout the prayers, we were blasted with an intense downpour with the raindrops violently thudding onto the zinc roof above us. The gusty winds blew in from all sides and since I was near the outside of the mosque, the entire back of my shirt and pants were drenched by the storm. Fortunately enough, we were still able to complete our prayers in comfort.

The storm was still pretty bad while en route from Masjid Temenggong Daeng Ibrahim to HortPark and visibility was also pretty poor. I was constantly looking out for where I should alight and I think the passenger beside me got a hint that I might need assistance, and so he asked me as to where I was going. I told him about my destination and he prompted me that I should be alighting in the next one. I thanked him for his kindness and alighted from the bus, still drenched despite having an umbrella.

It had been years since I last visited HortPark and being lost in the park, while in the storm was pretty evident enough of my unfamiliarity of the place. I almost felt like I was in some sad Korean drama, hehe. I had to juggle with an umbrella on my left hand and my phone on my right just so I could look at Google Maps to really bring me down to exact place that I needed to go. After spending about fifteen minutes apparently walking around in circles, I've finally arrived at the Vineyard at HortPark.

The meeting was held downstairs at the Fruit Room and I arrived half an hour early and I met Nadia from NParks who was still setting the place up. I met up with a few new wonderful people and waited for the meeting to commence while pathetically attempting to dry myself up with a small towel. Shortly after, some of the people whom I have met and made friends with all the various types of organisations arrived and we caught up over matters that we have missed over time. Now to think of it, I did get myself into quite an expansive social network, a different style of kampong spirit, hehe.

Indulging on the refreshments during the tea reception with Ivy. Photo courtesy of Ai Lin

After helping ourselves to the tea reception outside where we were encouraged to go green by bringing our own utensils and cutlery, we went back in and waited for 3.30pm where Mr Desmond, who was also the Chairman of FUN arrived to greet all of us. The last I met up with Mr Desmond was back in June so I was pretty excited to meet up with him again. He came down to my row and saw me and immediately asked about my wounds - mainly because he follows my social media hehe. As he went to take his seat, the FUN meeting was in order.

Apparently as per tradition in their quarterly meetings, they wanted the new members to introduce themselves and I also saw that many of the people who knew me before hand quickly tilting their heads to my directions and could sense that pressure. Nonetheless, I stood up and made my way to the front and introduced myself.

It was a pretty quick speech actually, I jokingly told the people that I was dragged into joining FUN after people were aware about my quest in finding my grandparents' home on the island. I emphasised my gratitude to everyone in FUN and thanked them for all of their contributions in making Pulau Ubin a better place and I also shared with them my dedication in working alongside everyone in this journey and would be focusing on preserving and celebrating Pulau Ubin's community and heritage as a form of tribute to my late grandparents' service for the people of Ubin in their lifetime. I was greeted with quite an applause from the committee and I was humbled to know that at that moment I have become a part of the FUN family. Other new people were also introduced and all of us greeted them with a warm welcome.

Self-introduction turned into an inspiring speech (just kidding!). Though I did receive comments from members that I inspired them after it hehe. Photo courtesy of Terence Tan

 Photo courtesy of Ai Lin

 Photo courtesy of Ai Lin

Up in the agenda for that meeting were proposals prepared by FUN members where pressing issues pertaining to the welfare and benefits for the residents, environment and overall entirety of Pulau Ubin were addressed and looked into with passion and enthusiasm.

One of the highlights from the meeting was Ria's presentation on the after action review of Pesta Ubin 2018. It had been quite an impressive festival, where more than 40 organisations were involved and nearly 5,000 people were reported to have attended the activities throughout the festivities. Ria then proceeded to show us the schedule for Pesta Ubin 2019 which was projected to begin on Vesak Day, 19 May to 23 June 2019. She then opened to the floor on feedback and suggestions on what should be conducted for Pesta Ubin 2019.

Ria Tan, the one who makes Pesta Ubin possible every year, having her picture taken with Mr Desmond. Photo courtesy of Joseph/NParks via Mr Desmond Lee's Facebook Page

I  voiced out one opinion and suggestion. After hearing from Ria and Ai Lin before that despite having Pesta Ubin consecutively spanning over Ramadan and Hari Raya, there had never been a Hari Raya celebration on the island. So, that's what I suggested. It seemed amiss to me for there to not be any Hari Raya celebration on the island, given the utmost significance a kampong environment plays in the Malay culture as well as Hari Raya itself. I emphasised how amazing it would be like to really "Balik Kampong" for Hari Raya and shared my vision for what I would like to see.

Everyone in the room were very supportive of the idea, and Mr Desmond jokingly said that he had found the one. He mentioned that they were waiting for that person to bring it up and apparently I might have fallen into the "trap". He asked me if I would like to be the chairman to run the Hari Raya celebrations on Ubin for Pesta Ubin 2019 and I was very open in picking up that position. The whole room roared into applause and looked forward in seeing this Hari Raya vision come to life in the kampong setting. I was surprised actually, I mean, I only just entered the committee and I was given quite an appointment on the same day! Nonetheless, I am humbled to see that people were willing to trust me, and even offered to assist and join my "Hari Raya Committee" and I am very happy to receive their support and also excited to lead this initiative for Pesta Ubin 2019.

After about three hours addressing the meeting's agendas, the meeting came to a close with Mr Desmond thanking us for all that we have done and contributed for Pulau Ubin and encouraged us to continue in pursuing our service for the "green emerald island of Singapore", before inviting all of us out to welcome and host the volunteers for the Ubin Day Appreciation Dinner.

A great buffet for the great volunteers who have made Ubin Day 2018 special and successful! Photo courtesy of Ria Tan

The food served was amazing and it really did not disappoint. I sat down next to Ria throughout the dinner where nearly two hundred volunteers came down to feast. We went on to discuss more on the Hari Raya Celebrations plan as she was in fact the overall I/C of Pesta Ubins for the past five years. We discussed on our vision, activities and takeaways for the celebration as we continued to dine in onto our char kway teows, fried rice, honey roasted chicken and much much more. A musical band from NParks provided the night's entertainment as volunteers and FUN members took photos with one another and that was a very happy sight to be surrounded in that evening.

Attendees were also treated to a beautiful view of the sunset over HortPark. Photo courtesy of Ria Tan

Volunteers taking a wefie together with Mr Desmond. I'm coincidentally right behind this group, hehe. Photo courtesy of Ria Tan

Later on in the evening, people were invited to the front to take photos with Mr Desmond and they were called out one by one from the various organisations that they were from. They were called out alphabetically and the list was a pretty exhaustive one. I was honestly quite surprised when the emcee called me to the front after the whole list was done. I figured maybe she or the minister himself wanted me there. After having our photos taken, Mr Desmond looked at me and wished me the best for my rebuilding efforts and journey in FUN.

Thank you Mr Desmond for your encouragement and support as well as for bringing me on board the FUN team.

The night came to an end with filled stomachs and a final group photo with every volunteers and FUN members together. Dr Beng Kiang from NUS Architecture offered a few of us a ride to Redhill MRT station. I took the same train back with Ivy whom I found out also stayed in Tampines with me.

Thank you to the volunteers who have made Ubin Day 2018 a huge success and I hope to see you again and more for Ubin Day 2019! Photo courtesy of Joseph/NParks via Mr Desmond Lee's Facebook Page

I reached home that night feeling refreshed, hopeful and excited for my journey ahead. I am now a member of the Friends of Ubin Network family and I am now joining alongside a team of wonderful, passionate and enthusiastic people who have kept Pulau Ubin on their hearts and minds. It warmed my heart knowing that I have been given blessings and overwhelming support to have 818K rebuilt. I look forward in the years ahead with optimism, determination and dedication to contribute back to the residents of Pulau Ubin just as how much my late grandparents had contributed back to them in their lifetime.

I hope that my late grandparents would be proud of me for what I'm doing, for their home and family; for Pulau Ubin.

Read up on Mr Desmond's Facebook post regarding the event here!
Read up on my previous post in "My Ubin Journey" series:
"The Day I Shed Blood On Pulau Ubin"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Ubin's Constant Vulnerability to Redevelopment

Putting the Saga in Saga Seeds

The Legend of Pulau Ubin - The Elephant, The Pig and The Frog